Help Need advise

Computer problems giving you a headache? Hopefully we can help! We have many very knowledgeable users that willing to help.

Topic author
ripper007

Help Need advise

Post #1 by ripper007 » 2 years ago

My internet provider started throttling my internet speed a few months ago.
I pay for 1.5 MB down load unlimited for a monthly fee.
They have blocked OpenDNS so I am unable to use OpenDNS numbers. I have proof of this from OpenDNS.
Now they are throttling my internet speed after about 4 minutes. it goes form 1.5MB down to less that 1MB. I am guessing its averages to about 0.8MB download speed.
they told me that my plan that I have purchased is for a burst up to 1.5 MB down. and guaranteed 0.8MB.
If they have their equipment to auto throttle downloading after a few minutes to less than 1MB, would this be considered Throttling?
as per The Open Internet rules that went into effect on June 12, 2015, I am sure they are breaking 2 rules.

any suggestions?

https://www.fcc.gov/openinternet
Net Neutrality - The Rules

Adopted on February 26, 2015, the FCC's Open Internet rules

Bright Line Rules:
•No Blocking: broadband providers may not block access to legal content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
•No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
•No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no "fast lanes." This rule also bans ISPs from prioritizing content and services of their affiliates.

TinBin

Post #2 by TinBin » 2 years ago

geee sorry to hear this ripper m8 not good cant u change isp?

here in uk its totally unlimited never get throttled... i would leave if they did...

.\|.<(+_+)>.|/.((The name says it all!))\|.<(+_+)>.|/.
-?=?‡?=?-((I hate mean people - Share or be gone!))-?=?‡?=?-
???(`?[???? ((I don`t command respect - I earn it)) ~????~?

Tron

Post #3 by Tron » 2 years ago

If you have the option to change to another provider I would call them to cancel. Then watch how quick they change their tune. If you have no alternate, then I guess you are stuck....
"Fight Crime: Shoot Back!"

Topic author
ripper007

Post #4 by ripper007 » 2 years ago

I have filed a complaint with the FCC.
The FCC has contacted my internet provider requesting company information and contacts. The Internet Provider has 30 days to respond. Its been 3 weeks and There has been no reply from the internet provider.
I called my internet provider, They insist, they are not breaking any laws and that I am getting what I am paying for. I told him I needed him to send me a email with information of the person in charge that takes care of legal issues, and that I have turned this into the FCC and they will decide if they are with in the laws of the Neutrality act.
They have not responded back yet.

I have check with a friend that has the same package deal with this internet provider. and it has been confirmed they are not getting the same restrictions. We have made video desktop captures of down load speeds and times proving my internet is being throttled and theirs is not.
Last edited by ripper007 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TinBin

Post #5 by TinBin » 2 years ago

good one ripper got to fight this there taking the piss

Topic author
ripper007

Post #6 by ripper007 » 2 years ago

As of today September 14 , 2015, my internet provider ( Rock Solid Internet) called me and has discontinued my service, because I am unhappy with my services. I told him I did not request to be Disconnected. He tole me they was disconnecting me anyway.

I know they are disconnecting me because I was going to file a complaint to the FCC due to throttled internet services and them blocking OpenDNS Services.

TinBin

Post #7 by TinBin » 2 years ago

gee not a nice company
so now u can go to another isp company

Topic author
ripper007

Post #8 by ripper007 » 2 years ago

That is true Tinbin.
for about the same Price I got a 3MB Download connection. its about 2x to 3x faster than what I had.
They came this morning and got it all hooked up with in about 20 minutes.
its good to have good internet speed.

The FCC is still going to look in to the issue I was having with the other internet provider.

JoeLouie

Post #9 by JoeLouie » 2 years ago

Mind if I ask what you were paying for your 1.5 Mbps connection?

Around here the speeds range from 1.5 Mbps download/640 Kbps upload to 450 Mbps download/350 Mbps upload, depending on the ISP, and what services are available in the area, with prices anywhere from about $45 to $250/month.

I currently pay $47 for 20/2.

TinBin

Post #10 by TinBin » 2 years ago

nice one ripper m8,

i pay £32 for unlimited 17megs line rental and 24/7 phone calls...

i can get 38megs but they want extra £10 a month or 80megs for £20 more a month

Return to “Help Desk”