Anyone running Linux i need fav :)

Computer problems giving you a headache? Hopefully we can help! We have many very knowledgeable users that willing to help.

Topic author
Eyerex

Anyone running Linux i need fav :)

Post #1 by Eyerex » 2 years ago

If possible could someone running Linux download Volumio https://volumio.org/ and unpack the iso for me and then place somewhere so i can download

Or does anyone know a way to unpack a Linux image on a Windows PC as keep getting a error

TheSidewinder

Post #2 by TheSidewinder » 2 years ago

I may be confused, but... that's a ZIP file, and an .IMG format file within it, that would be written to a flash drive with a Windows program like Win32DiskImager:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download
It's what I use to make flash cards for my Pi's. And I'm not sure you can properly unpack an .img file to raw files on a Win box due to filename differences, but not certain on that.

Or did you try that Win32DiskImager already, and that's what's throwing the error?

Topic author
Eyerex

Post #3 by Eyerex » 2 years ago

Need to try and edit the code within the img

TheSidewinder

Post #4 by TheSidewinder » 2 years ago

Ooohhh.... ok, I see. Not sure what to suggest, then.

Maybe find a program that will mount an .img file as a drive? I know those are out there.

Do you then need to pack it back up after the edit(s) ?

ripper007

Post #5 by ripper007 » 2 years ago

I'll Download it.
I have been running Suse Linux for a few years. I will do what I can.
and If I can figure out how to get this unzipped in windows I will let you know. that would be the easiest way.

ripper007

Post #6 by ripper007 » 2 years ago

Eyerex,
I downloaded Volumio1.55PI.img.zip.
I used WinRAR to unzip the iso. and can burn the iso to a cd using either win 7 disk image burner. or ImgBurn program.
I am sure it can be loaded with a virtual cd/dvd emulator. and then copy all files to a fold on your pc if needed.
is this what you wanted to do ?

ripper007

Post #7 by ripper007 » 2 years ago

I have used Ultra ISO to edit iso's and then reburn them. I did this a lot for my retail games that I bought. I would make a iso of the cd game. download all the updates and then add them to the iso using Ultra ISO then reburn it to a cd or dvd.

Topic author
Eyerex

Post #8 by Eyerex » 2 years ago

I had a problem trying to unzip the files within the image on a windows pc as it's Linux software to use on a Raspberry Pi as need to edit the code within the image as want to change part of the software which uses a local web address as it's GUI

TheSidewinder

Post #9 by TheSidewinder » 2 years ago

I downloaded that zip file, extracted the .img file, then burned it to an 8 GB flash card using "Win 32 Disk Imager" (free utility). The resulting flash card CAN be read by my PC, but only the DOS and boot partition. There's 5.87 GB that Windows claims is "Unallocated", which.... would be the linux partition, I believe.

Are you not able to do the same thing, plug in the flash card, boot, and then use command-line to edit?

TheSidewinder

Post #10 by TheSidewinder » 2 years ago

Followup.

Yes, what I did is exactly what you can do, I just did it. :)

Plugged the card in and it booted the Pi.

Got a few errors, likely because I have no sound card like you do.

However, the image file does include nano for editing files, so you can edit any file on the card you need to once it's booted up, save it, then reboot and it should work.

Return to “Help Desk”