Windows 10 puts Hard drives in Hybernation mode.

Computer problems giving you a headache? Hopefully we can help! We have many very knowledgeable users that willing to help.

Topic author
ripper007

Windows 10 puts Hard drives in Hybernation mode.

Post #1 by ripper007 » 1 year ago

I use boot disk or boot usb sticks for repairing drives are getting data from a drive that will not boot to windows.
Lately I have noticed every Hard drive that I had in a computer with Windows 10 is not accessible from a live boot usb or other linux operating system. Drive is unassessable due to drive being in a hibernation mode. Even after booting back into windows 10 and doing a complete normal shut down the drives are still not assessable.
I think Windows 10 keeps putting all drives in a hibernation mode when shutting down.

I use the same computer for multiple boot operating systems. Windows 10 and SUSE Linux. with a extra hard drive that’s shared for data storage between both operating systems.
Windows 10 does not touch and can not see the Linux hard drive. but it can see extra storage disk.
every time I go back into Linux OS, the Data storage drive is locked and can not be accessed.
When booting up to a boot-able USB Knoppix live OS. Knoppix will remove the Hibernation hard drive state and then it can be accessed by other boot disk or Linux operating system.

Hope this makes sense. Has anyone else this this?
as far as I know it only happens with Windows 10.
Wished windows 10 would run and operate with out making changes and checking other drives on the computer. Like totally destroying any other windows 7 or 8 that’s installed on another hard drive attached to the same machine.

I have tried to use Bootable Acronis and Paragon to access the drives and they are unable access the drives. PartionMagic can not do it either.
Dont know why Knoppix live boot knows how to remove the hibernation state of the drive, but it does.
I assume that if a drive is in hibernation mode and you have any work that was not saved before shutting down, that work may be lost ?? just my thoughts.

Jim

Post #2 by Jim » 1 year ago

This seems strange. I hope you get it sorted!
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

TinBin

Post #3 by TinBin » 1 year ago

did u get this sorted ripper

.\|.<(+_+)>.|/.((The name says it all!))\|.<(+_+)>.|/.
-?=?‡?=?-((I hate mean people - Share or be gone!))-?=?‡?=?-
???(`?[???? ((I don`t command respect - I earn it)) ~????~?

Topic author
ripper007

Post #4 by ripper007 » 1 year ago

not really, this is what I did.
I removed windows 10 hard disk.
I used Knoppix live boot disk to unlock and access the hard drives.
reinstalled windows 7 on a Intel 600 GB SSD.
Everything works as is should.
I am able to read and write to the extra data hard drive from SUSE Linux.
Windows 10 is good and I liked it. just dont like how controlling it is with other hard drives connected to the same machine.

Topic author
ripper007

Post #5 by ripper007 » 1 year ago

I found out that there is a fix for this.
There is a way to disable Hibernation mode in windows 10.
This should stop it from making all drives inaccessible when using utility boot disk or another operating system that's duel boot.

Return to “Help Desk”