My new PC build (in-progress)

Talk about the latest and great hardware, or the newest version of your favorite software.

Topic author
JoeLouie

My new PC build (in-progress)

Post #1 by JoeLouie » 8 months ago

My computer is in major need of being replaced. It's an old second (third?) hand Dell desktop tower that I managed to upgrade a bit, but it still sucks. It has a Pentium D 915 (2.8GHz) processor, and I think there's 6GB of DDR2 RAM in it, but it isn't using more than 3.5GB.

Anyways, I got a few Best Buy gift cards for Christmas, and decided to put them towards some parts for a new PC. Normally I wouldn't buy PC parts from BB because of their limited selection, and higher prices than newegg, ncix, tiger direct, etc, but it's not money out of my pocket, so I'm not too worried about it. Right now I'm calling this my "Better Than My Last PC" budget build. It's not going to be a beast of a machine by any stretch of the imagination, but at least with a newer motherboard it will give me more room for future upgrades, versus my current PC which is pretty much upgraded as much as it can go. I'd love to build a crazy i7 machine with all the bells and whistles, but if I'm really honest with myself, I don't need anything like that at all. I've already ordered the motherboard and case, and will probably be ordering the CPU shortly. I have a stick or two of DDR3 around here somewhere that I'll use until I can get some more. My main goal right now is to get the essential parts so I can get it running, then slowly upgrade it as I have the funds. As I upgrade this in the future, I'll probably use the discarded parts to build a replacement for my media server, and decomission that PC.

Between the few things that I'll be purchasing to get this up and running (case, mobo and cpu) it will end up being less than $5 of my own money out of my pocket.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($51.73 @ Newegg Canada)
- It's cheap, and unlocked. 3.6GHz stock, but I've read of people overclocking them up to 4.4GHz. I don't plan on going that crazy, but it's nice to know that I can if I want.
Motherboard: MSI A68HM-GRENADE Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (Purchased For $126.49)
- Purchased from Best Buy, it's not the best of the best, but for the price it'll work just fine, and allow me to upgrade the CPU down the road.
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
- In my current PC. I have a few 7200rpm SATA drives that will go in with it too.
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GT 640 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
- In my current PC. I think it's 3 years old now, and will be replaced eventually, but for the limited PC gaming I do it'll work fine for now.
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $86.23)
- Purchased from Best Buy, it's on sale. I'm not crazy about the looks, and don't have any use for the 5 1/4 drive bays, but it has better reviews than some of the other cases in their limited selection.
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
- In my current PC, more than enough juice for this build.
Total: $264.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-01 11:37 EST-0500

Jim

Post #2 by Jim » 8 months ago

Hi JL,

Sounds like a fun build. My box is still current enough for my needs. I've been holding off moving it to Win10 even though I've got it for free when Microsoft was giving it away last July. I installed it onto a 250 Gig Samsung SSD.

Are you going with Win10 or ?
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #3 by JoeLouie » 8 months ago

I'll be going with Win 10, as it's what I currently have on my PC. I'll obviously be doing a clean install with the new build though. I'm assuming that I won't be able to use the same license on the new PC, so do you know the best way to activate Win 10 on my new install?

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #4 by JoeLouie » 8 months ago

I've been holding off on ordering the CPU for the last few days, trying to find the best deal, and decide exactly what I was going to get, and once I finally decided to get the A6-5400k this morning, I discovered that the sale at Newegg ended yesterday :lol:, so I'm probably going to hold off and might just end up getting something much better, like the Athlon X4 860k, which is one of the fastest CPUs that the motherboard currently supports

Jim

Post #5 by Jim » 8 months ago

PM Sent. ;)
Regards,

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #6 by JoeLouie » 8 months ago

Well, I ended up buying a used A6-5400k from someone local today. I was looking online last night, replied to the ad and got it for $20. Much better than the $65, with taxes and shipping that it would have cost me new. I also found my 4GB stick of DDR3 yesterday, so now I just need the case and motherboard to arrive so I can get this put together. I'm probably going to spend part of my day tomorrow backing up stuff so I'll be 100% ready when that stuff arrives.

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #7 by JoeLouie » 8 months ago

The motherboard and case arrived about an hour ago. I was laying on the couch, trying to get rid of a headache, when my wife said "There's a Purolator truck in the driveway...", and I flew off the couch. She wasn't very happy, because she's been trying to get me to do something productive all morning :lol: I was expecting an email to let me know that it had been shipped, so it was kind of a surprise lol.

I'm currently getting my Win10 image ready, and backing stuff up on this PC before I wipe the drive clean and rip out the SSD, PSU and video card. Wish me luck!

Jim

Post #8 by Jim » 8 months ago

Good for you JL. It looks like you'll have some fun.

My PC got infected with something nasty (not Nastyboy!) when I was looking for Power CD+G Burner 2 to download this week. I did my best with both Symantec Endpoint Protection, and Malwarebytes => but no Joy! I could start it up in Safe Mode so it's definitely the Win 7 image. I plugged in my recent Win 10 install (free :beer2: from Microsoft) on a new Samsung 256 Gig SSD I bought last summer, and it works fine. So I know the rest of the Rig is still good.

So I'm seriously thinking of making the final plunge to Win 10 Pro. This drive has nothing but the OS on it so it'll take me a while to make it right. :pcown:

Somehow I think you'll be done before me. :shrug:
Regards,

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #9 by JoeLouie » 8 months ago

I'm already done, pretty much everything reinstalled and I have it overclocked to 4.1GHz lol. It was probably the smoothest OS install I've ever done, no issues at all (knock on wood). It's definitely quicker than my old PC, but of course with the same video card it's not much better for gaming until I replace the video card. Although I did do some tests with 3DMark and the numbers were quite a bit better, but it really just shows that my old CPU was the bottleneck on that system.

Jim

Post #10 by Jim » 8 months ago

Great JL. Glad you are already done.

I'm putting on the basic programs and email, while trying to become more used to Win 10 / Edge /Etc.

You post reminded me to go look for the latest drive for my old NVidia GTX 770. Check with you later ;)
Regards,

Return to “Hardware/Software Talk”