My new PC build (in-progress)

Talk about the latest and great hardware, or the newest version of your favorite software.

TinBin

Re: My new PC build (in-progress)

Post #11 by TinBin » 10 months ago

nice build that m8....

.\|.<(+_+)>.|/.((The name says it all!))\|.<(+_+)>.|/.
-?=?‡?=?-((I hate mean people - Share or be gone!))-?=?‡?=?-
???(`?[???? ((I don`t command respect - I earn it)) ~????~?

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #12 by JoeLouie » 10 months ago

The bug has hit me. I'm already trying to decide what my next purchase will be. I'm looking at a video card right now, Sapphire R7 370 4GB. A huuuuge improvement over my GT 640. Now to see if I can convince my wife that it's essential to her being able to play The Sims :lol:

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #13 by JoeLouie » 10 months ago

I've been playing around with overclocking it the last few days, and currently have it at 4.2GHz, up from stock @ 3.6GHz, and bumped the GPU clock on my GT 640 from 902MHz to 997MHz to get a little more juice out of it... mainly just because I can :lol:. Everything seems to be running stable so far. I also ditched the stock CPU cooler today and put my Coolermaster 212 EVO on, and have been quite happy with the temperatures. I really need to get some more (faster) RAM in it, but have been trying to find a good deal. I currently only have 4GB of DDR3 @ 1333MHz.

Overall, I've spent a total of $41.85 on this computer out of my own pocket ($20 for the CPU, $21.85 for the fan), not counting the parts I already had, so I'm pretty happy with the results lol.

Jim

Post #14 by Jim » 10 months ago

Sounds like a great bargain to me :)
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

TinBin

Post #15 by TinBin » 10 months ago

Geee for that price pc bargain....

.\|.<(+_+)>.|/.((The name says it all!))\|.<(+_+)>.|/.
-?=?‡?=?-((I hate mean people - Share or be gone!))-?=?‡?=?-
???(`?[???? ((I don`t command respect - I earn it)) ~????~?

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #16 by JoeLouie » 10 months ago

Picked up a new (to me) Gigabyte GTX 460 OC yesterday for $40 to replace my GT 640. While the GT 640 has more memory (2GB vs 1GB), the GTX 460 is better is almost every other way. The core clock is a little lower, but a little overclocking will close that gap, but the memory is much faster. I haven't noticed a huge difference in graphics quality, although I have noticed things are much smoother now, and I have been able to bump the quality up a tiny bit. This isn't meant to be a card that I'm going to keep forever, but it was cheap, and I have a feeling that my GT 640 was nearing the end of it's life.

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #17 by JoeLouie » 8 months ago

A few changes since I last posted almost 2 months ago.
  • I've replaced the GTX 460 with a GTX 660, which was a nice improvement. The GTX 660 has also been slightly overclocked.
  • Added another 4GB of RAM, bringing it to 8GB
  • Got rid of the 2x SATA 2.0 160GB HDDs, and put in a SATA 3.0 500GB HDD
  • While the A6-5400 was running smoothly at 4.1GHz, up from the stock 3.6GHz, I just ordered an Athlon X4 860k (stock at 3.7GHz, but should easily overclock to at least 4.1GHz). 4 cores is better than 2 cores lol
  • Ditched the 2x 19" monitors in favor of a single 22" monitor. I didn't use the second monitor all that much anyways, and the higher resolution on the new monitor is definitely a nice change.
  • I literally just finished putting in a DVD burner that was just given to me. I haven't had a CD/DVD drive in a computer in years, since my old drive died, and between flash drives being cheap, and easily streaming things across my network to pretty much any TV in my house I haven't missed discs, but figure what the hell, it might come in handy.

Everything has been running great, temps have been staying low and running stable, even with the overclocking. I've been able to run most of my games very smoothly now and am even able to stream a game on Twitch without my PC having a massive heart attack :lol:

With all that being said, I'm just a touch under $200 out of my own pocket into this PC. :cool:

Jim

Post #18 by Jim » 8 months ago

Sounds like these little tweaks are making the experience more enjoyable. Good for you. ;)
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

Return to “Hardware/Software Talk”