It's like Christmas morning!

Talk about the latest and great hardware, or the newest version of your favorite software.

Topic author
JoeLouie

Re: It's like Christmas morning!

Post #11 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

I got Win10 installed on the desktop, using the method you suggested, problem free aside from the issue getting 7 installed first.

I got the laptop wiped clean and installed 7 on it (I think it had Vista originally, but didn't even check) and ended up getting it to just download the update to 10 from 7 while I was playing around with the desktop. It was chugging along nicely with the download and install, then the last 15% of the install just crawled along. It was at 98% when I went to bed, and still only at 99% when I got up for work this morning, 7 hours later. If it's still sitting at 99% when I get home tonight I'll just cancel the install and install from the image. I did briefly notice the video issues my uncle mentioned on the laptop. The screen got discolored and somewhat distorted for a bit but eventually cleared up itself. He had said that the problem persists even when using an external monitor, but I didn't get around to testing that. I think that the battery in it is toast too, but again, haven't tested it yet.

I got the server wiped off, and installed Lubuntu, but haven't really done much more than that with it yet.

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #12 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

I got home from work and the laptop was still at 99% done updating to Windows 10. At that point it had been there for about 18 hours, so I rebooted, ended up popping out the 250GB drive, and putting in a 320GB drive, booted from my external with the Windows 10 image, and within 10-15 minutes had a working (and activated) install of Windows 10 :D

Jim

Post #13 by Jim » 1 year ago

Good Stuff! Clean installs are always better than upgrades! ;)
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

Nastyboy132

Post #14 by Nastyboy132 » 1 year ago

I need to make some action happen with the windows 10 'free' upgrade myself on my HTPC. Ugh... need more hours in a day
Don't mind me. Just my madcow acting up.

Jim

Post #15 by Jim » 1 year ago

I just did my HTPC yesterday (really a Tunes Box as I have few Movies that are not on disk). Had to muck around a lot as the Windows Update failed. But I have it sorted now.

Only two more Boxes to go !
Regards,

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #16 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

So, in the end I managed to put together a desktop for myself (Pentium D 915 2.8GHz, which will probably be upgraded a bit eventually, with Windows 10), one for my daughter (Pentium 4 2.8GHz, with Windows 7, as I couldn't find some drivers for 10), and a media server to sit in the workshop downstairs (Pentium 4 531 2.8GHz, with Ubuntu). None of them are amazing machines by any stretch of the imagination, but they get the job done. I also got the laptop working, and figured out the cause, and solution to the GPU issues. Apparently there was a class action lawsuit because it was such a common problem in this model, but it's way too late to do anything for me now. To temporarily fix it I opened the bottom of the laptop and blasted the GPU with the heatgun to "reflow" the solder (I think that's the correct term). Anyways, I ended up installing Ubuntu on it, and it's working great for now. I still have tons of memory, a few smaller hard drives, and a few other components that I may throw together to build another machine or two to sell and clear out some more stuff that I'll probably never use.

ripper007

Post #17 by ripper007 » 1 year ago

Thank you Jim.
This worked perfect.
Will this work on another pc if you copy the GenuineTicket after a new windows 10 install ?? or is it just pituitary to the device it was created on.

I don't have a extra pc here that has not had windows 10 installed on to test.

Jim

Post #18 by Jim » 1 year ago

Rip,

Glad to be of help. This only works on the PC where the Genuine Ticket is created. But it works on PCs that have Win7 activated by a loader. (Think DAZ). So you can install Win7 onto just about anything and then run Genuine Ticket and move up to a 100% legit Win 10 Pro install. ;)
Regards,

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #19 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

How long do you figure it will take after the free upgrade to Win 10 is over before someone cracks that? :lol:

Jim

Post #20 by Jim » 1 year ago

Win 10 was cracked long ago...I prefer to get a Legit version for Free! ;)
Regards,

Return to “Hardware/Software Talk”