It's like Christmas morning!

Talk about the latest and great hardware, or the newest version of your favorite software.

Topic author
JoeLouie

It's like Christmas morning!

Post #1 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

I picked up a bunch of computer, parts and accessories today. My uncle was clearing out a bunch of stuff that he's collected over the years, and whatever I didn't take was getting tossed... so, being the "collector" that I am, ended up coming home with 3 computers (P4 2.8GHz, and 2x P4 2.4GHz), all with hard drives and memory, 3 monitors, 3 or 4 keyboards and mice, various hard drives and external enclosures, a decent router, a nice Logitech 5.1 speaker set, lots of extra RAM, random power cords, USB cords, etc.

I don't know what I'm going to do with it all, but my computer has been acting funky lately, and I haven't even powered it on in a few weeks, so I'll definitely make some use of most of it.

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #2 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

I'm taking an inventory of everything to see exactly what I have, and there is at least 14.5GB of RAM. 6.5GB of that is DDR2, 4.75GB is DDR, and most of the rest is laptop memory. I don't think I'll be short on RAM anytime soon :lol: All this is on top of the stuff I already had, and the few gigs I have in the 2 machines I'm currently trying working on.

Thankfully my wife is understanding, because I've completely taken over the dining room table, and all of the space around it.

Jim

Post #3 by Jim » 1 year ago

Glad to see you've gotten some good stuff you can use.

I've tried to cut down on my hoarding lately and recycled a lot of old components that I'll never use. (Think AGP Graphics Cards, TV Tuner Cards, all IDE Hard Drives, etc.) This week I'll probably nuke an old Dell PC one of my sons stopped using 5 years ago - It still has XP on it! And maybe even our last CRT Monitor!! :)
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #4 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

I've gotten rid of some old stuff lately too, but I'm left with some stuff that was still functional, but was either missing a video card, or not enough RAM, etc. So this will give me enough stuff to build a few computers, and hopefully get rid of whatever I don't need. I have 2 17" CRTs downstairs that I can now get rid of, since I now have 4 LCD's.

The computer that I'm using right now is a Pentium D 2.80GHz, has PCI-E, and 6GB of RAM. It's currently running XP, so it's only using 3.5GB of RAM, but that will be solved when I reformat it with something newer.

I'm also setting up a Pentium 4 2.66GHz (that will be upgraded to a P4 2.80GHz) as a server/Linux machine for the basement/workshop.

I think that the last one is a P4 2.4GHz, but will probably get the 2.66GHz once I upgrade that one, and will go to my daughters room to give her something to play with and type stuff on.

Jim

Post #5 by Jim » 1 year ago

JL,

Just a hint if you are thinking of going to Windows 10 (32 or 64 bit) on any of these Boxes. The "free" upgrade ends July 29th so you should take advantage of it with all of these boxes before then. You can always use a spare hard drive to get them up and running in Win 10. That will register the hardware (hard drives don't count) with Microsoft so you can do a clean re-image of Win 10 anytime.
Regards,

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #6 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

Thanks Jim. I was already looking into that, trying to figure out what to do. I guess I'll need to install Windows 7 first, then do the free upgrade to 10, and then I'm free to do a clean install of 10, right?

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #7 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the laptop. I got a Dell XPS M1530 from him too. Core2 Duo 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD. He said there was something wrong with the internal video card. I've only had it on for a few minutes so far (installing Win7), but so far so good!

Jim

Post #8 by Jim » 1 year ago

Just do a basic install of Win7. No updates, just get it activated.

Step 1: Grab a Windows 10 DVD or ISO image. Choose the correct OS version and system architecture.

Step 2: You need to access the content of the ISO. Extract it, mount it to a virtual drive, or burn to DVD.

Step 3: Whatever you do, don’t run Setup. Access the ISO content and go to F:\Windows\x(64)\sources and identify the gatherosstate.exe file.

Note: In the step above, F:\ is the drive letter, while x(64) the system architecture, and it can also be x(86). Make sure to choose the one you need.

Step 4: Copy the gatherosstate.exe file on the desktop and run it. Once done, a file named GenuineTicket.xml needs to appear.

Step 5: Keep the newly-created XML file somewhere safe, preferably on a USB Flash drive.

Step 6: Perform a fresh install of Windows 10, without upgrading. Also press Skip when you’re asked for the product key.

Step 7: When Windows 10 is ready to be used, copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket.

Note: The ProgramData folder is hidden by default, so press View, and choose to reveal Hidden Items.

Step 8: Restart your computer so that changes take effect. When back to the desktop, press Win + Pause|Break to bring up System Info and check whether or not it got activated.

This method save you the hassle of upgrading from Win 7 and is 100% legit with MS.
Regards,

Topic author
JoeLouie

Post #9 by JoeLouie » 1 year ago

Thanks Jim, I'll give that a shot. Definitely less steps than what I had done before. Now, if only I could get Win7 to install. I'm trying to install onto my SSD from an external drive, and it keeps freezing at the Starting Windows screen.

EDIT: Got Windows 7 installed. I had too much memory in the computer :lol:. I had 6GB in there, Win XP was only using 3.25GB, and I thought this was because it was the 32bit version, and I'd be able to use all of it when I upgraded. Turns out the motherboard doesn't support more than that, and that's what was causing the freezing when trying to install Win7. I have 4GB in it now, and it's still only using 3.25GB. Getting ready to install Win 10 now.

Jim

Post #10 by Jim » 1 year ago

Glad you got it sorted. Keep me advised how your installs go. ;)
Regards,

Return to “Hardware/Software Talk”