Opinions, please? Replacing parts of desktop

Talk about the latest and great hardware, or the newest version of your favorite software.

freonchill

Post #11 by freonchill » 6 years ago

"TheSidewinder" wrote:Arrgh.... spent a good ten minutes making a lengthy reply with links and the damn idle timeout got me.

Short reply, then.

Went with this RAM kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231572

and this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157

And I'll be using this kit to cool the NB and Mosfets:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16886/ex-blc-1202/EK_EVGA_X79_Classified_Liquid_Cooling_Block_Set_-_Acetal_Nickel_CSQ_EK-FB_KIT_EVGA_X79_Classified_-_AcetalEN_Nickel.html?tl=c605s1915b133
and this to cool the CPU:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17067/ex-blc-1224/EK_Supremacy_ELITE_CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Full_Nickel_-_Socket_2011_w_Indigo_Xtreme_EK-Supremacy_Elite_-_Intel_2011.html?id=4iLbeM5H&mv_pc=307

Once I had the list of things I'd need, it dawned on me all I had to do was order another PSU, since I had a decent video card (left from 2010 which Jim recommended to me; a BFGTexh GTX260), and grab a regular fan-driven CPU cooler. Got that at Micro Center yesterday.

End result is I'll have two machines. Old desktop re-purposed strictly for work, and a new gaming rig.

I'll post pics in the build thread once I get it all together. ;)

watercooling for mosfets - really!? wow!

im partial to OC-Z ssd's myself, got a pile of vertex3 120gb and a vector 256gb at work. if i could just get my office to spring for gigabit so i wasnt limited to 10mbps for file transfers, really sucks when trying to load multiple 30-99mb files at a time.

dual channel just means that they have tested it for that and matched pairs that work well together, doesnt mean that it wont wont in quad channel

Pi.

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Post #12 by TheSidewinder » 6 years ago

Heh.... well, it's a kit and I needed a block for the South Bridge, so went with that one.

We'll see if I have issues with that EVGA X79 Classified. I purchased it before reading their forums and, given Jim's experience....... we'll see.

freonchill

Post #13 by freonchill » 6 years ago

i dont have experience with the evga X79, but we have a gigabyte X79 at the office and other than a problem that i think was due to the video driver, havent had a problem since i updated the nvidia drivers

gigabyte x79
32gb g.skill pc1600 ddr3
zotac gtx660ti
vertex 256gb
750w psu
asus dvdrw (i had spec'd a liteon, but my IT boss got what he wanted when what i had spec'd was out of stock)
corsair 300r case
win7 x64
Pi.

Jim

Post #14 by Jim » 6 years ago

Any update here SW?
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Post #15 by TheSidewinder » 6 years ago

Ah yes.... the new box.

Sure enough, that mobo has proven to be categorically problematic. While it does work, that's "for the most part". Issues with the USB ports are endemic. The ones in the back are the worst-affected, but the ones off the mobo headers are much less of a problem. My case has two USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0 that attach to mobo headers, so I've been ok. I can overclock to a rock-solid 4 gHz on CPU and 1600 on the memory in my tests.

EVGA has realized (and admitted) that it's a design flaw not fixable by a BIOS update, and they're going to make some kind of replacement offer to existing X79 owners on their new mobo coming in June, the "X79 Dark".

So.... now I wait and see just what it is they offer.

Return to “Hardware/Software Talk”