Opinions, please? Replacing parts of desktop

Talk about the latest and great hardware, or the newest version of your favorite software.

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Opinions, please? Replacing parts of desktop

Post #1 by TheSidewinder » 7 years ago

Was hoping this could be put off until later this year, but discovering a burnt 12v wire on my mobo's 24-pin connector has pushed this to the forefront. Stupid me forgot to add the optional* (note asterisk) 4-pin Molex power input cable to provide extra 12 and 5 volts when using more than one video card.

That's where the asterisk comes in. I have dual video cards, GTX580's, and was supposed to use that cable. I didn't, and now have burnt wire from current overdraw.

My fault, duh. To its credit, it did last two years before going out. And now that I've added that 4-pin extra cable.... it's working, at least for now, and that wire isn't overheating any longer so should be fine for short-term use.

Would like anyone's opinion as regards staying with LGA1366, or going to LGA2011. It needs to be a really good gaming rig in addition to work, an all-in-one really, so.....

I'll be re-using the water-cooling components where I can, and the two watercooled GTX580 cards will be fine to re-use. (I wasn't using them to full potential yet anyway.) Power supply is fine too, just needs a new cable which I'll be ordering. Case will be reused as well.

So, looking at Mobo, CPU and RAM, as well as some miscellaneous watercooling parts.

Have got these on the "wish list" so far....

Mobo:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=151-SE-E779-K2

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492
(but will be buying at Micro Center for a better price)

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231524

CPU and Mobo watercooling blocks will be had from FrozenCPU.

Before I proceed, wanted to be sure none of you are aware of any gotchas.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Post #2 by Jim » 7 years ago

SW,

An interesting choice on the MB. I've worked on a few EVGA's and all are a bit of a challenge as time goes on. Although early in their life EVGAs have constant Bios revisions (which actually gets a bit annoying as sometimes you get the feeling they didn't quite Beta test the MB enough and you are the guinea pig..); overtime there's a cliff when support stops. I guess it's not that different than Asus or Gigabyte, but it seems to happen earlier.

The X79 is an updated version of the X58 which I did a lot of work on and even had to RMA it twice. I caution you that these are entusiast's MBs - not for the typical Gamer or User. There is all kinds of stuff to tweak and play around with to gain bits of performance, but in reality I never found a program that needed that kind of horsepower. (But it was fun, and there's good bragging rights in having a watercooled super hot PC I guess.)

Judging by the heavy discount for the X79 I suspect it's at the end of life and a new flagship MB is just around the corner for EVGA. Not that this is a terrible thing - a lot of bios revisions will be in hand meaning a lot of the Bugs will be already worked out. I just don't know if I'd buy one after my experiences with their 780i and X58. (EVGA kinda lost me as a fan when they bailed on their Lifetime Warranty =>which was superb=> and went back into the pack with 3 years.) But if you want to really get into the MB, an X79 is certainly a Hobby all onto it's own. (Check out EVGA's own Forum on it.)

Now in regards to the CPU. Please tell me one Game (or Consumer Program for that matter) that needs this Rocket Engine to blast off? Wow! I certainly haven't been able to justify anything past a i5 2500K for a Gaming Rig because the bottleneck is almost always the Graphics, if suitable RAM (which you have) and an SSD are used. CPU doesn't really enter into the equation => certainly not something that can pull a dozen seperate threads along simultaneously (Ouch!).

On the Ram side, I have no comment other than you are on the right track in getting all of it at one time, with the related Fans as no adjacent cooling will be coming from the water cooled CPU.

All in all I'm jealous. :eek:

I've just about abandoned PC Gaming personally as I now seem to build Rigs for others to play games on. (And they too sometimes go over the top on CPUs & related MBs.) My video processing focus has ebbed so I can't justify (I have saved enough cash) a new hot Rig like you are going for here. I know I want one => but I just can't figure out why?

I hope you can swing a better deal on the CPU, but Intel seems to never discount to any degree their high end units. I will be interesting to see what Benchmark Testing results you get. Please keep us informed.
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

freonchill

Post #3 by freonchill » 7 years ago

ugh, lost this post twice to an expired token...

in short, any reason why you are paying for fans on your ram? no need for fans unless you plan to overclock on top of getting the fastest suggested ram for ivy bridge...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231620
Pi.

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Post #4 by TheSidewinder » 7 years ago

Freon: Since it's an entirely watercooled box, there's no airflow anywhere near the RAM, as would there be if a traditional CPU cooling fan were in place. I'd have to (or, at least, should) have SOME kind of cooling solution for the RAM, I believe. I will be overclocking, yes, but... I agree, those fans are over-priced.

Jim: Well, it's not just gaming, lol. I also have graphics programs (PS-CS 2) and sound programs (Ableton Live) and this is also my work machine. So, am getting the best I can get, without being raped on the CPU. That's currently the "third-best" socket 2011, but the 2 higher ones are obscenely priced, so not even looking at them. As regards EVGA... I've only had good luck with them. The video cards I'll be reusing are their GTX-580 Hydro Copper 2 units and have been perfect. The mobo is the one that had the "least dissatisfaction" of all manufacturers I looked at, and a brand name I know and trust from past experience. But your observations and experiences are noted; I'll take that into consideration.

Also, I do have SSD and twin GTX-580's, so the bottleneck probably WILL be the CPU. But even if it isn't..... I'll have bragging rights as you noted. ;)

And to all: How nice. Corsair says "ship the whole unit to us, we'll replace it under warranty" to make sure the burned wire isn't a symptom of a larger problem. Now awaiting a callback from Customer Service/Support to get an Advanced RMA.

Thanks all, and if you have followup observations, please post.
Last edited by TheSidewinder on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freonchill

Post #5 by freonchill » 7 years ago

"TheSidewinder" wrote:Freon: Since it's an entirely watercooled box, there's no airflow anywhere near the RAM, as would there be if a traditional CPU cooling fan were in place. I'd have to (or, at least, should) have SOME kind of cooling solution for the RAM, I believe. I will be overclocking, yes, but... I agree, those fans are over-priced.

if you have no fans in the case other than the water cooler's fans over the radiator. then you might also have an issue with the north bus, especially if you are O/C. i remember on one of the pcper (or was it twich) podcasts saying that they had issues with the northbus overheating with O/C'd water-cooled systems since there was no air flowing on the northbus to help cool it.

not sure if you intended to have your radiator and fans on the back or top, but i thing either way it should draw some of the air from within the case. the concerns that i have seen in the past is that people either over-pressurize their case (too many fans sucking air in and no way for the heat to get out); or under-pressurize (too many fans blowing out and not enough air getting in which can create a vacuum).

though i have never touched the heatsinks on the ram in the machines at work; there are no fans on them. i have the fan on the cpu (stock intel cpu-fan, down into cpu, iirc), 120mm out the back (adjacent the cpu), 120mm fan up (taking heat out of the case), a 120mm fan in the front (low, near the hd bays), and obviously the psu (up from below the case, out the back), there is also the gpu (sucks up from below the card and out the back).

though there is huge heatsink on the northbus chip of the mobo you are looking at, i would think that the gpu fans would suck-up air from that area and blow it out the back of the case. in the same regard, i would think that the fan on your watercooling radiator, located on the back or preferably on the top based on the ram location, would pull the heat off of the ram and blow it out of the case.

so, if you have any issues with the o/c, the northbus chip is something to think about.
Last edited by freonchill on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pi.

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Post #6 by TheSidewinder » 7 years ago

Arrgh.... spent a good ten minutes making a lengthy reply with links and the damn idle timeout got me.

Short reply, then.

Went with this RAM kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231572

and this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157

And I'll be using this kit to cool the NB and Mosfets:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16886/ex-blc-1202/EK_EVGA_X79_Classified_Liquid_Cooling_Block_Set_-_Acetal_Nickel_CSQ_EK-FB_KIT_EVGA_X79_Classified_-_AcetalEN_Nickel.html?tl=c605s1915b133
and this to cool the CPU:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17067/ex-blc-1224/EK_Supremacy_ELITE_CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Full_Nickel_-_Socket_2011_w_Indigo_Xtreme_EK-Supremacy_Elite_-_Intel_2011.html?id=4iLbeM5H&mv_pc=307

Once I had the list of things I'd need, it dawned on me all I had to do was order another PSU, since I had a decent video card (left from 2010 which Jim recommended to me; a BFGTexh GTX260), and grab a regular fan-driven CPU cooler. Got that at Micro Center yesterday.

End result is I'll have two machines. Old desktop re-purposed strictly for work, and a new gaming rig.

I'll post pics in the build thread once I get it all together. ;)

Jim

Post #7 by Jim » 7 years ago

SW,

Glad to see things coming together. You haven't talked Hard Drives yet, and so as this is a "Gaming" Rig, I'd suggest you check out Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

The X79 Chipset suppports it and I've found it terrific for the Rig I built for Gaming (for my son). I used a small SSD and a 1TB Hard Drive. It's quick (Win7) and very reliable.
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Post #8 by TheSidewinder » 7 years ago

Already have that planned. :)

New rig will have a 250 GB C: and a 500 GB D: SSD, Samsung 840 series. Old machine will have the 10k SATA2 HDD's that the SSD's replaced a month or so back.

And with the new rig properly supporting SATA 3, should be blazing fast.

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Post #9 by TheSidewinder » 7 years ago

Dammit..... I just realized the RAM I ordered was only Dual Channel. *sigh*

Need to go with my first choice then, and RMA this set. Owell.

Topic author
TheSidewinder

Post #10 by TheSidewinder » 7 years ago

Well, that was far less traumatic than I thought it would be. Newegg waived the restock fee after I asked them nicely, too.

I went with this set: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231564

as the one Freon mentioned was out of stock.

Will be building over the next week. Can't wait!
Last edited by TheSidewinder on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware/Software Talk”