A new Graphics Card, or a new Gaming Rig come Black Friday?

Talk about the latest and great hardware, or the newest version of your favorite software.

Topic author
Jim

A new Graphics Card, or a new Gaming Rig come Black Friday?

Post #1 by Jim » 3 months ago

Hi Gents,

I know there's only a few of us prowling around the Edge these days, but I value your opinion.

My son't gaming rig is now aged, and his Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 fans are starting to fail. The one on the inboard end, which is VFD driven; stops and starts, and makes noise when running. I suspect a bearing failure, so as a stop gap we are ordering replacement fans today; which hopefully will provide breathing room until we decide what route to go.

The rig is built upon an Asus P8Z68-VLE motherboard, with an Intel I5 2600 CPU, and in its day was decent for his needs. Originally it had a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 Graphics card which we upgraded as a Christmas gift to him a couple years ago. The thought then was the motherboard really couldn't use all of the GTX 970 capability (according to the web) but he could upgrade his Rig sometime soon, and gain the full benefit from it. But that never happened...

Well, I'm thinking the time is probably upon him (as he's now working full time - so it's not on Dad's dime) to but components for a new decent (not full blown) gaming rig that I'll put together for him. Unlike in years ago, I'm not current in the hardware end, so I'm looking for guidance. The short version is my limited research has the PC gaming world in two streams. One is for those with a 4K Monitor, and other is for those who don't. If you have a 4K monitor, the choice is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti; but if you don't it's a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070.

I should advise we've been Nvidia and Intel fans for ages and it'll take something compelling to move us off those OEMs. The present monitor is not 4K but could be in the mix for a new rig. I know Nvidia is just releasing their new RTX 2070 /2080, but I expect their cost to be over the moon initially.

Any advice would be appreciated and and motherboard / CPUs as well. Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

TinBin

Post #2 by TinBin » 3 months ago

2080 2080ti are not cheap m8 id go with a 1080 or 1080ti better value or wait and see that 2070 prices will be

.\|.<(+_+)>.|/.((The name says it all!))\|.<(+_+)>.|/.
-?=?‡?=?-((I hate mean people - Share or be gone!))-?=?‡?=?-
???(`?[???? ((I don`t command respect - I earn it)) ~????~?

Topic author
Jim

Post #3 by Jim » 3 months ago

Thanks TinBin, that seems to be what we are thinking too!
Regards,

ripper007

Post #4 by ripper007 » 1 month ago

I have a EVGA 1070 ti. lower end video card. it works good for what I do. with a 4K monitor with settings in the 4k range. I dont think this video card can handle it. the mouse moves slow motion. if I set the settings to a normal seting for a non 4 k monitor the mouse moves smooth and plays games good.
I would not spend the money for 4k. for me its not worth it. because I can not afford it.
depending what kind of games he wants to play. may be cheaper to buy new mother board,ram, processor. the newer equipment I think is more energy efficient and runs cooler. getting a good upgraded processor cooler is worth it.
I dont own anything uptodate .
I own a i7 first generation 2.6 GHz. most newer video cards I think needs a processor thats 3.0 ghz to be able to run with all available settings.

Topic author
Jim

Post #5 by Jim » 2 weeks ago

Hi Gents,

I ended up buying a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 OC on Black Friday. Canada Computer (a brick and mortar store no less) had it on as a Door Crasher. On NewEgg.ca it was listed for $951.07 Canadian dollars, but as a Door Crasher at Canada Computer is was on $549. The store manager said it was 6% better at gaming than EVGA 1070 Ti I was looking at. So my son was pleased.

I also got decent deals on the rest, so now it's a waiting game as the CPU & NVMe SSD are getting shipped here.

It's been a couple years since I built a box, so wish me luck.
Regards,

TinBin

Post #6 by TinBin » 2 weeks ago

nice one m8

time i upgrade not sure what to get 1070ti or 2070

Topic author
Jim

Post #7 by Jim » 1 week ago

The rest of the gear made it here. Now do I build him a Box or remodel his bathroom which I've had apart for a month...
Regards,

TinBin

Post #8 by TinBin » 1 week ago

build him a Box lol

Topic author
Jim

Post #9 by Jim » 1 week ago

Thanks TinBin, that's what I did; well sort of.

My son has finally gotten some paid vacation time (after a year of full time employment) and decided he would spend his available cash on the improved Gamer Box instead of going anywhere. It so happens he's on that vacation now, and wants to cocoon himself playing Games. So his Rig isn't available for retrofit.

So I "breadboarded" the components without a case as I have an extra Power Supply, Keyboard, Mouse & Monitor. The NVMe SSD is quick (well beyond Gamer needs), and other than a lot of silly LEDs blinking and changing color (what a waste of money!) the Rig works well.

I am taking this week off from work (except Wednesday) to get the Bathroom renovation moving again; as I too have vacation time I'm supposed to take before year end. And of course the Misses wants this bathroom back to 100% functionality.
Regards,

TinBin

Post #10 by TinBin » 4 days ago

nine one m8

Return to “Hardware/Software Talk”