What was your first mobile phone

Welcome to the Anything Goes forum, where like the name says, anything goes. Talk about whatever you want in here. *No spamming please*

Topic author
Eyerex

What was your first mobile phone

Post #1 by Eyerex » 6 years ago

Lets go back to the 90's or whenever you first got your first mobile phone

Mine was a Nokia 5110
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TinBin

Post #2 by TinBin » 6 years ago

geee my first mobile phone, i know its was a nokia but i cant remember the model

.\|.<(+_+)>.|/.((The name says it all!))\|.<(+_+)>.|/.
-?=?‡?=?-((I hate mean people - Share or be gone!))-?=?‡?=?-
???(`?[???? ((I don`t command respect - I earn it)) ~????~?

JoeLouie

Post #3 by JoeLouie » 6 years ago

It was a Samsung something... I think I still have it around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it online.

gapsta

Post #4 by gapsta » 6 years ago

Think mine was the same model as pictured or very similar in about year 2000, i did have a pager before that in about 98 which i still have, i should test it really.
Living in the future....

Jim

Post #5 by Jim » 6 years ago

Dam, my first "mobile" phone was from BC Tel and called an AutoTel . The technology pre-dates Cellular. It looked almost like a normal household handset bolted (Think hardwired) into my company car => a 1988 Pontiac 6000.

I had the second truly "mobile" phone in BC. (Not hardwired.) At least I was told it was the second one. The company I worked for at the time (GE) had a north American alliance with Ericsson, and it brand labeled Ericsson technology for a few years in an effort to penetrate the new cellular market. It was about the same as the unit below except it had white buttons and black letters. It also had green / red => ring /hang up symbols on white buttons. I knew the GE Ericsson Manager for BC => and he got the first one then he got me mine. Folks would come from all around to watch me use it. This was especially true in remote areas.

The first year I had it, I was at a Golf Tournament in Campbell River on Vancouver Island. It had been a bit drizzly earlier so the grass was a bit slick. One of the guys in the foursome ahead of us slipped down the side hill just beside the green, and broke his ankle. I amazed everyone and called 911 right there. It was wild with the Ambulance driving on the course (up and down many fairways) with it's lights on as we were on the Hole the farthest from the Clubhouse. Some Foursomes just chipped the ball over the fallen player. :eek:

(The next year the Course banned such actions - but I was famous by then. :D )
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

gapsta

Post #6 by gapsta » 6 years ago

^^^^This :)

Great story Jim, what year was it around?

If i could have that phone now id ditch my smartphone!
Living in the future....

Jim

Post #7 by Jim » 6 years ago

I think it was around 1992 - as I had it bolted into my next company car (A 1992 Dodge Caravan) Hands Free no less! (about $350 just for that option then as I remember :eek :) .

At this time Cellular was all analogue (not almost all digital like today) so power consumption was huge => as were the batteries! They were also Ni-Cad which had terrible "memory" problems => and a short operational life cycle. The external antenna broke off a couple of times even though I tried to be "gentle" with it. It was considerably smaller than the Motorola Bricks that came out at the same time, and I used it for about 3 years or so.

The next move was into a Motorola Flip Phone which started a decade long use of their units which ended when the first smartphones (BlackBerry) came into my life. Just last year the company I am now with ditched their BBs, and head off into Apple iPhones.

It's amazing what a portable "phone" does these days. Talking to folks is often not in the equation most folks use when choosing one over another.
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

TheSidewinder

Post #8 by TheSidewinder » 6 years ago

Wow, stroll down memory lane.

My first truly cellular phone was a..... Startrac something-or-other, if I'm remembering correctly. This was in about 94 or 95.

freonchill

Post #9 by freonchill » 6 years ago

i had this - it was thick as the battery was as deep as the phone and sat off the back. to tell you the truth, i really dont remember using it that much, it was only for emergencies...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pi.

Return to “Anything Goes”