what's with all the spam

Check in often to keep up on what's happening on the site! (Only mods and admins may start threads in here)

Topic author
lothodon

what's with all the spam

Post #1 by lothodon » 8 years ago

what did we do to deserve this amazing influx of spam posts?

by the way, i should not be able to start a thread in here, according to your description only mods and admin can.

Jim

Post #2 by Jim » 8 years ago

I too wonder why I spend so much time deleting Spam Posts & Threads.

Thanks for the Head's Up. We'll need an Admin (JL, Nasty, etc.,) to check these settings and adjust.

Maybe they can check the general security as well to inhibit these spammers.
Regards,

Jim :thumbsup:

JoeLouie

Post #3 by JoeLouie » 8 years ago

The problem with the spammers is that they're not bots. They're people that go through the registration process just to post links. The only way I can stop them from registering is to change it so I have to manually activate each individual account.

Nastyboy132

Post #4 by Nastyboy132 » 8 years ago

lets do that. we dont get a whole lot of new users to be honest. well...valid ones anyway.

lotho i'm sure you can post in here because i doubt we ever took away mod status from your account.
Don't mind me. Just my madcow acting up.

Jim

Post #5 by Jim » 8 years ago

"Nastyboy132" wrote:
lotho i'm sure you can post in here because i doubt we ever took away mod status from your account.

Then he can help kill the Spam Posters too! :evil2: :kekeke:
Regards,

Topic author
lothodon

Post #6 by lothodon » 8 years ago

no i can't, otherwise i would.

TheSidewinder

Post #7 by TheSidewinder » 8 years ago

Not sure how it works with vB (though I know a way exists), but with the forum software I use, IP Board, we discovered that the following method works very well:

1) You create a group that cannot START a new post, but can REPLY to an existing one, and put all new members in that group.

2) This groups gets auto-promoted to the "regular" members group after making 1 or more replies to an existing post.

For whatever reason, on our board the human spammers haven't figured this out yet. They always try to START a new post, then get the "you can't do that" message, then they go away for good.

I think we've had spammers here who reply to existing posts, but most of them start a new post. I think the above method would at least reduce the numbers?

Not sure how many Mods you have already, but if you're looking for people to help combat these idiots I'll volunteer. I love to abuse, and then ban, spammers. ;)

JB

Post #8 by JB » 8 years ago

I was over run by Spam bots on my Forums as well... I found a few Anti Mods that I found on VB.org.. Ill see if I can track them down and give them to you Chris... Now I get one maybe every 2 months which is pretty good from the 15 per day... Freaking Spammers :(

analogue40

Post #9 by analogue40 » 8 years ago

I delete them whenever I see them, it has become such a pain in the arse.. it is hard to stop, though, with them being real people and not bots

Jim

Post #10 by Jim » 8 years ago

I just nuked 2 more!
Regards,

Return to “Announcements!”